Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A New Schedule

Working part-time, I wanted to toil for a few hours each day so that I wouldn't miss a whole day with Calvin. I started working mornings, nursing him before I left and leaving him with Dad for a few hours before they made their way to daycare. He'd play for a while, have a nap, and I'd pick him up with the whole afternoon still before us.

But as he gave up his morning nap it seemed silly for me to work while he was awake (all morning) and to be available when he slept for a good chunk of the afternoon. Something needed to change.

The birth of my colleague's first child presented a win-win opportunity for both of us. She could get home earlier if I took the afternoon 'shift', which would give me mornings with Cal -- hooray!

Unfortunately, in order for me to spend the morning with Cal, I needed to change my contracted work with Covenant Retirement Communities, too. (I've been spending about 10 hrs / week with them, too.) We'll miss the additional income, but time with Calvin is just more valuable. We'll make whatever adjustments we need to ... even to this blog.

Perhaps you noticed the advertisements at the top of the page; perhaps not. Google is paying me to host them: a smidge just for being noticed, a smudge if they're clicked. So while I would never outwardly solicit clicking ... (that's against the rules) ... know that if something should catch your eye and entice further investigation, all contributions will go toward Calvin's "Mornings with Mommy" fund.

3 comments:

Esther said...

Just read an article (USA Today?) about the woman who came up with the AdSense idea for Google.

She and her husband rented their garage to the guys who started and still run Google. She's now one of their senior VP's and nearly her whole family works for Google as well.

Critter said...

Hi Cherith

I admire you for working around Cal's schedule even if it meant giving something up. For working women (like myself) it's encouraging knowing there are more moms out there that can work as well as spend the quality time with their children, and change their schedules to accomodate.
Thanks Cherith
Corin

Anonymous said...

i'll click on a few links here and there...ya know, just for the cause! :)