Friday, July 06, 2007

New Playground = New Friends

The neighborhood playground is complete (stay tuned for details) and has already produced fun for local kids and adults!

Cal and I wandered down to scout it out and found a neighborhood family doing the same. The adults chatted as the kiddos explored and soon enough, Mom was asked for a play date! As Calvin went down for the night, I met a couple of other 'girls about town' for a drink. One of them, Sherrie, has a 17-month old son, too! She invited Calvin and me to join her (and a local Mom & Me group) at the park for a picnic. We gladly accepted her invitation.

We convened, along with one other mom and her two sons, at a park in Burlington (a neighboring city) nestled alongside a river with a waterfall and a kickin' playground set.

It turns out that Grant is just five days younger than Calvin, so the two of them toddled along beautifully together. I think Cal might be a smidge taller, but they are remarkably similar. Grant was a little quiet today, but studied his surroundings and knew just what was happening all around him. Meanwhile, Calvin was climbing the ladder to the tallest slide, providing a gibberish play-by-play as he went.

It was an active day, but the two did manage to sit comfortably for a while on the see-saw with Sherrie on the other end bobbing them up and down. They were thrilled, but you'll have to take my word for it. I didn't have my camera close by (gasp!) so we recreated the experience before heading home. Note the tired, "you've got to be kidding me!" expression on Grant's face; Calvin provided the soundtrack.

2 comments:

Esther said...

Would love to have heard Cal's 'gibberish play-by-play'! He must be a stitch to watch and hear.

And how nice for both of you to make friends in town.

Lindahl News 2 said...

Okay, he IS the cutest guy in the world! My sis just sent me the latest pic of Cal with his bubble
mower. Those two make quite the pair.