Monday, August 27, 2007

It All Comes Out In The End

So Calvin swallowed a nickel yesterday.

He was flat on his back while I changed his diaper, playing with a nickel. This scenario sounds dangerous now, after the fact, but I haven't considered him to be in jeopardy of inadvertently swallowing an object for some time now. He hasn't put things other than food and his fingers in his mouth for quite a while.

I can't tell you exactly how it happened. I turned to get the cream and heard Calvin cough. Instantly I had turned him on his side and had slapped his back. He coughed again and started jabbering.

Really. He coughed twice. I wondered if he had spit it out, or if I had smacked my kid for nothing. I did a finger sweep and checked the floor, but I couldn't find the nickel anywhere. Then the answer was upon us. "kick el", Calvin said, and put his finger in his mouth.

"Can you cough?", I asked him. He coughed. Nothing. So off to the bathroom we went. I, let's see, how can I put this delicately? I ... tried to induce vomiting, but nothing came up; we went downstairs to tell Dad.

Calvin seemed find throughout the past 26 hours. I've watch him closely and made sure that he was fully lubricated, not exactly sure how he'd pass a nickle!!

Well, as you might expect, the magical moment happened. And, as luck would have it, it happened with both Dad and I present. This evening, before bed, Calvin was running around as Eric and I sat on the porch. His diaper was clean one moment and full the next. No apparent discomfort, nothing apparent at all. But a quick scan revealed what I've been looking for ... a kick el.



Naturally, I had to (clean it and) take a picture. Can you believe the color change? Ha! This thing's been through the wringer, alright!!

6 comments:

Lindahl News 2 said...

Remind Diann to tell you Elom's oft-repeated joke with the punchline of,"I tink I'll take a NICKEL'S worth of baloney for a change." (Yes, it is a Swedish accent joke and it's supposed to be "tink"!)

Glad Cal passed the small change easily. He better not eat a half dollar, though.

Anonymous said...

halarious. we have yet to experience a coin-swallowing incident. after reading your report on Cal's size...i have no trouble imagine how he passed a coin of that size;) i think he is only a few pounds behind my 4 year old!
but my kids are soooo shrimpy

Erin said...

Oh my goodness! How scary! Glad it passed so uneventfully.

I LOVE that you took a picture of it... definitely a story worth repeating!

nardz16 said...

i'm not sure how i feel about that post exactly. i appreciate the tactful retelling of the story and, like you, am very interested in the color change. but seriously? that is the craziest thing. i'm glad cal got out of this situation unharmed. by the way, can i start calling him "piggy bank" instead? PB for short. :)

Cherith said...

HA! His first earned nickname -- I love it! Once I was sure that Cal was okay but that the nickle was really gone, we promptly put the quarter (lying on the table) in his piggy bank.

Anonymous said...

I certainly know how fast it can happen. Ask Drake how fast you can drive a car up your nose!

The doctor's in the ER thought it was REALLY funny! They were tired of pulling out Barbie shoes-a micro machine was a real treat!

Oh the joys of motherhood!

I haven't been to Calvin's blog for awhile so must say I enjoyed the posts! The Petersen pool looked like fun-sorry we weren't here to play!

And love your scooter! I had a neon yellow one when I was pregnant with Denee-that was cute!

Hugs to all-wear your helmets :)