Monday, May 07, 2007

Two Steps Forward?

How does one teach a child to eat with utensils? I think, perhaps, I'm not doing a very good job.

Everyone who eats with Calvin comments on his messiness. From the first, he's been comfortable with food all over his face, hair, clothes, high chair, floor ... ceiling! Mom and Dad haven't minded it much, either, though we do hope his tendencies will change with time. Even a milk mustache is unwelcome on adults in most circles.

Calvin eats with his hands and occasionally a fork, but if a spoon is required, we're in trouble. I feed him in public, but when we're by ourselves at home, it seems like a safe place to practice his technique.

Cal starts with one spoon and I have another; we alternate bites. Eventually he ends up with both spoons and food everywhere, but it's good practice.

Babies 'R' Us sells big floor mats for high chairs, and mega bibs exist for a reason. Surely Calvin isn't the messiest youngin' ever. I trust he'll find his mouth in due time. Look, he already has the spoon upright in his mouth! Until then, bring on the bleach!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've seen Cal in action, and he sure knows how to make a mess, but I think you are doing just fine...he is learning for sure!