Monday, March 17, 2008

Pronouns and Prepositions

I admit that I haven't paid much attention to developmental benchmarks. I figure that each child learns at their own pace, so as long as Calvin demonstrates consistent growth, we're fine. Perhaps that's a simplistic approach, but it's working so far.

One side effect is utter amazement when my little guy exhibits a new skill set, especially with language. The latest shocker is his use of pronouns and prepositions.

Settling into dinner one night, Calvin was outlining who should sit where. But instead of speaking in the third person, "Calvin sits in Calvin's chair", he said, "Calvin sits in his chair", "Mommy sits in her chair"!

Which reminds me, his complete sentences now include prepositional phrases. Cal has a great grasp on whether he'd like to sit on or beside me, if he would prefer to go up or down the stairs, or whether I should walk in front of or behind him.

And it seems that Cal has a good grip on sentence structure. Spotting our cat the other day, he told me, "Mommy, Jake is in chair." Then immediately corrected himself. "Jake is in the chair."

Of course, he hasn't mastered everything. Cal still says, "mines" instead of "mine". As in, "This cup is mines." An adorable mix-up, I think, and it makes perfect sense. If this is yours, or hers, or his ... then it should be mines as well. He almost has me convinced!

Bravo, Son!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

cal does have a point with "mines". :)