Sunday, October 28, 2007

It's Potty Time!

Inspired by our friend Wil during a visit a few months back, I bought a mini toilet seat for Calvin and we began half-heartedly, occasionally introducing him to it.

Every 10 days, or so, I'd remember to set him atop it as I drew the bath; hoping the trickling water would inspire ... audience participation. I had been warned that this might take a while, so I wasn't disappointed when it didn't amount to much; and I was thrilled when it did!

Cal didn't do much before the bath but quickly found inspiration afterwards. So after watching our product find its way down the wrong drain a few times, Calvin found himself on his throne straight out of the tub. (dry and wrapped in a towel.)

"All done, Mommy", he told me as I brushed my teeth. "Just a minute, honey", I responded. "Wait until Mommy's done brushing her teeth, please." And then -- there it was -- a trickling of his own.

I didn't respond right away for fear I'd scare him, but I did celebrate afterwards, explaining what he had just done, scooping him up in my arms and sharing the happy dance.

We've continued with a once every ten days routine, not terribly committed to the process, and we're hit and miss with results, as expected. Tonight, however, we had a breakthrough.

After the bath I asked Cal if he'd like to use the potty; he didn't. So we moved to his room to dress for bed. Before he was out of my arms, though, he said, "Uh, Mommy" and pointed to his pants. Back to the bathroom we went. He held it while I fumbled to set up the chair but once he was in place, he let it go. Bulls-eye! He was in control of this process.

This seems like a bit of a breakthrough to me. One that means I might need to get a little more serious about his interest and ability. Should I be more excited about this than I am?

4 comments:

Critter said...

From a mother who has potty trained 3 kids I will tell you to proceed with caution. That's great that Calvin is showing interest but totally understand why you may want to contain your excitement. His interest could go as quickly as it came, but on the other hand he may take to the potty already and that would be great!!! Congratulations on your start and success thus far:)

Lindahl News 2 said...

Party...er, ah POTTY time at the Andersons!

Thanks for the "feast" in recent blog updates. Cal is still my man!

Anonymous said...

yeah for calvin! have a good time with this new stage. my potty training tool of choice, pull-ups. easier to get on and off than diapers during the learning stages and they make every inevitable accident (or i just didn't feel like it incident) much less traumatic for everyone. as you can imagine, accidents were always more traumatic for your high strung cousin potty training two kids at once than for the kids ;) i really am trying to relax...

Erin said...

What a Big Boy! Wow! Definitely the start of something...