Saturday, June 24, 2006

This Bag IS a Toy!

When Calvin was born I vividly remember thinking, "I'll never go to the grocery store again". What had been an effortless weekly trip became an insurmountable feat overnight.

Somewhere I had acquired a vision of needing to abandon my hand-chosen veggies and melting ice cream as I rushed my screaming baby to the car. And somehow this vision took hold for nearly five months!

Oh, we've been other places -- restaurants, even -- but always with someone who could tend with the merchandise while I dealt with the child, or visa versa. And I did return to the grocery store, but on my own, before Calvin was up for the day or after he had retired for the evening. That is, until this week. This week we took the plunge.

Satisfied that Cal was tanked up, dry, and well-rested, we were off. And we had a ball! Cal enjoyed all the new turf to take in and I loved showing him a few of my favorite things. We found some apples for him right off the bat, which he carried through the rest of the store, happily -- and safely -- chewing on the bag as we went.

The meltdown may happen someday, but for now I have a new vision of grocery shopping with my little guy.

2 comments:

Changeit said...

Donde estas?

Esther said...

Just LOOK at that smile. Calvin sure loves a good adventure into the ways of the world with a loving guide.

Of course, you factored in the choking risk and knew how to let him enjoy the apple bag under your watchful eye.

And congratulations on your own evolution to Grocery Mom - you handled it gracefully & beautifully!